Reposted from @rushinamg .
When I hosted my first Garhwali pop up 3 years ago I was not sure I would find any takers. And here I am. Yesterday we cooked and fed 40 people (between lunch, dinner & local deliveries). Swipe to see more pictures. I'm overwhelmed with all the messages of appreciation for my food. But more so by all the Garhwalis that are writing to me with encouragement and thanks for showcasing their culinary culture. To them I just have to say I am the fortunate one to have the priviledge. And to have married right!
In the thaali are -JAKHIYA ALOO (baby potatoes cooked with a tempering of Jakhiya (wild mustard or dog mustard).
-JAMBU KE TADKE WALI ARHAR MALKA KI DAL (Pigeon Pea & masoor dal uniquely smoked with Jambu, a wild herb akin to chives.)
- KAFULI A gravy of leafy greens and rice flour.
- MALAI LAUKI (Subtly spiced Doodhi, finished with cream)
- NAAL BADI KA SAAG (an hierloom recipe of special badis made from collocasoa stems.
- CHAULAI KI SUBZI (Amaranth greens subzi)
- PAPAWALA MUTTON (A family recipe for slow cooked Mutton)
- MANDUE KI ROTI (Finger Millet flatbreads) made with #bakrichhap
- GARHWALI RED RICE (from #bakrchhap)
- KADDU KA RAITA (Squash in yogurt with a special Garhwali masala)
- BHUNE TAMATAR AUR DHANIYE KI CHUTNEY (Charred Tomato and Coriander relish)
- JHANGORE KA HALWA (Jhangora or barnyard millet grows on hills of Uttarakhand. This is my special creation, redolent of desi ghee and lots of love just the way Garhwali homes cook.
Garhwali food has given me so much. I wanted to give something back. So happy to share that I am supporting @greenpeopleind with these popups. The mandua and lal baat in my meals are from their brand #bakrichhap
(Also available on @amazondotin now). Each packet bought supports a farmer in Uttarakhand.
In case you want to get a taste... your paste chance is on SUN 7th April, lunch is almost full up but we have just added a dinner slot. This will be the last time I'll do this meal this year ->(https://www.authenticook.com/meal/garhwali-summer-meal/149/3974/ dinner on April 7) also in stories!