#jorgenhartogstourguide

The Glen Distillery, situated in Kilnap Glen, on the banks of the Glemamought river, two miles outside the city of Cork, commands an inexhaustable supply of the purest water, peculiarly suited for the manufacture of Whiskey, and is fitted up with the newest appliances and modern improvements. Pot stills only are used. The attention of the Public is called to the evidence taken before the Parliamentary Committee on the subject, which clearly established that pot still Whiskey is the only wholesome Whiskey made. Patent Still Whiskey an article to be avoided. The Proprietors use nothing but the very best materials in the manufacture, and make but one quality Whiskey, which is not inferior to the best Dublin make. There is always in the Distillery  warehouse a large stock of Old Whiskey matured in Sherry Casks. Customers are supplied direct from the Bonded Warehouse on the Distillery premises, with the guarantee of an excise permit. #glendistillery #cork #jorgenhartogstourguide #historicaltoursireland #whiskey #whiskeylover #irishwhiskey
The Glen Distillery, situated in Kilnap Glen, on the banks of the Glemamought river, two miles outside the city of Cork, commands an inexhaustable supply of the purest water, peculiarly suited for the manufacture of Whiskey, and is fitted up with the newest appliances and modern improvements. Pot stills only are used. The attention of the Public is called to the evidence taken before the Parliamentary Committee on the subject, which clearly established that pot still Whiskey is the only wholesome Whiskey made. Patent Still Whiskey an article to be avoided. The Proprietors use nothing but the very best materials in the manufacture, and make but one quality Whiskey, which is not inferior to the best Dublin make. There is always in the Distillery warehouse a large stock of Old Whiskey matured in Sherry Casks. Customers are supplied direct from the Bonded Warehouse on the Distillery premises, with the guarantee of an excise permit. #glendistillery #cork #jorgenhartogstourguide #historicaltoursireland #whiskey #whiskeylover #irishwhiskey
The Glen Distillery, situated in Kilnap Glen, on the banks of the Glemamought river, two miles outside the city of Cork, commands an inexhaustable supply of the purest water, peculiarly suited for the manufacture of Whiskey, and is fitted up with the newest appliances and modern improvements. Pot stills only are used. The attention of the Public is called to the evidence taken before the Parliamentary Committee on the subject, which clearly established that pot still Whiskey is the only wholesome Whiskey made. Patent Still Whiskey an article to be avoided. The Proprietors use nothing but the very best materials in the manufacture, and make but one quality Whiskey, which is not inferior to the best Dublin make. There is always in the Distillery  warehouse a large stock of Old Whiskey matured in Sherry Casks. Customers are supplied direct from the Bonded Warehouse on the Distillery premises, with the guarantee of an excise permit. #glendistillery #cork #jorgenhartogstourguide #historicaltoursireland #whiskey #whiskeylover #irishwhiskey
The Glen Distillery, situated in Kilnap Glen, on the banks of the Glemamought river, two miles outside the city of Cork, commands an inexhaustable supply of the purest water, peculiarly suited for the manufacture of Whiskey, and is fitted up with the newest appliances and modern improvements. Pot stills only are used. The attention of the Public is called to the evidence taken before the Parliamentary Committee on the subject, which clearly established that pot still Whiskey is the only wholesome Whiskey made. Patent Still Whiskey an article to be avoided. The Proprietors use nothing but the very best materials in the manufacture, and make but one quality Whiskey, which is not inferior to the best Dublin make. There is always in the Distillery warehouse a large stock of Old Whiskey matured in Sherry Casks. Customers are supplied direct from the Bonded Warehouse on the Distillery premises, with the guarantee of an excise permit. #glendistillery #cork #jorgenhartogstourguide #historicaltoursireland #whiskey #whiskeylover #irishwhiskey
The Glen Distillery, situated in Kilnap Glen, on the banks of the Glemamought river, two miles outside the city of Cork, commands an inexhaustable supply of the purest water, peculiarly suited for the manufacture of Whiskey, and is fitted up with the newest appliances and modern improvements. Pot stills only are used. The attention of the Public is called to the evidence taken before the Parliamentary Committee on the subject, which clearly established that pot still Whiskey is the only wholesome Whiskey made. Patent Still Whiskey an article to be avoided. The Proprietors use nothing but the very best materials in the manufacture, and make but one quality Whiskey, which is not inferior to the best Dublin make. There is always in the Distillery  warehouse a large stock of Old Whiskey matured in Sherry Casks. Customers are supplied direct from the Bonded Warehouse on the Distillery premises, with the guarantee of an excise permit. #glendistillery #cork #jorgenhartogstourguide #historicaltoursireland #whiskey #whiskeylover #irishwhiskey
The Glen Distillery, situated in Kilnap Glen, on the banks of the Glemamought river, two miles outside the city of Cork, commands an inexhaustable supply of the purest water, peculiarly suited for the manufacture of Whiskey, and is fitted up with the newest appliances and modern improvements. Pot stills only are used. The attention of the Public is called to the evidence taken before the Parliamentary Committee on the subject, which clearly established that pot still Whiskey is the only wholesome Whiskey made. Patent Still Whiskey an article to be avoided. The Proprietors use nothing but the very best materials in the manufacture, and make but one quality Whiskey, which is not inferior to the best Dublin make. There is always in the Distillery warehouse a large stock of Old Whiskey matured in Sherry Casks. Customers are supplied direct from the Bonded Warehouse on the Distillery premises, with the guarantee of an excise permit. #glendistillery #cork #jorgenhartogstourguide #historicaltoursireland #whiskey #whiskeylover #irishwhiskey
The Glen Distillery, situated in Kilnap Glen, on the banks of the Glemamought river, two miles outside the city of Cork, commands an inexhaustable supply of the purest water, peculiarly suited for the manufacture of Whiskey, and is fitted up with the newest appliances and modern improvements. Pot stills only are used. The attention of the Public is called to the evidence taken before the Parliamentary Committee on the subject, which clearly established that pot still Whiskey is the only wholesome Whiskey made. Patent Still Whiskey an article to be avoided. The Proprietors use nothing but the very best materials in the manufacture, and make but one quality Whiskey, which is not inferior to the best Dublin make. There is always in the Distillery  warehouse a large stock of Old Whiskey matured in Sherry Casks. Customers are supplied direct from the Bonded Warehouse on the Distillery premises, with the guarantee of an excise permit. #glendistillery #cork #jorgenhartogstourguide #historicaltoursireland #whiskey #whiskeylover #irishwhiskey
The Glen Distillery, situated in Kilnap Glen, on the banks of the Glemamought river, two miles outside the city of Cork, commands an inexhaustable supply of the purest water, peculiarly suited for the manufacture of Whiskey, and is fitted up with the newest appliances and modern improvements. Pot stills only are used. The attention of the Public is called to the evidence taken before the Parliamentary Committee on the subject, which clearly established that pot still Whiskey is the only wholesome Whiskey made. Patent Still Whiskey an article to be avoided. The Proprietors use nothing but the very best materials in the manufacture, and make but one quality Whiskey, which is not inferior to the best Dublin make. There is always in the Distillery warehouse a large stock of Old Whiskey matured in Sherry Casks. Customers are supplied direct from the Bonded Warehouse on the Distillery premises, with the guarantee of an excise permit. #glendistillery #cork #jorgenhartogstourguide #historicaltoursireland #whiskey #whiskeylover #irishwhiskey
The Glen Distillery, situated in Kilnap Glen, on the banks of the Glemamought river, two miles outside the city of Cork, commands an inexhaustable supply of the purest water, peculiarly suited for the manufacture of Whiskey, and is fitted up with the newest appliances and modern improvements. Pot stills only are used. The attention of the Public is called to the evidence taken before the Parliamentary Committee on the subject, which clearly established that pot still Whiskey is the only wholesome Whiskey made. Patent Still Whiskey an article to be avoided. The Proprietors use nothing but the very best materials in the manufacture, and make but one quality Whiskey, which is not inferior to the best Dublin make. There is always in the Distillery  warehouse a large stock of Old Whiskey matured in Sherry Casks. Customers are supplied direct from the Bonded Warehouse on the Distillery premises, with the guarantee of an excise permit. #glendistillery #cork #jorgenhartogstourguide #historicaltoursireland #whiskey #whiskeylover #irishwhiskey
The Glen Distillery, situated in Kilnap Glen, on the banks of the Glemamought river, two miles outside the city of Cork, commands an inexhaustable supply of the purest water, peculiarly suited for the manufacture of Whiskey, and is fitted up with the newest appliances and modern improvements. Pot stills only are used. The attention of the Public is called to the evidence taken before the Parliamentary Committee on the subject, which clearly established that pot still Whiskey is the only wholesome Whiskey made. Patent Still Whiskey an article to be avoided. The Proprietors use nothing but the very best materials in the manufacture, and make but one quality Whiskey, which is not inferior to the best Dublin make. There is always in the Distillery warehouse a large stock of Old Whiskey matured in Sherry Casks. Customers are supplied direct from the Bonded Warehouse on the Distillery premises, with the guarantee of an excise permit. #glendistillery #cork #jorgenhartogstourguide #historicaltoursireland #whiskey #whiskeylover #irishwhiskey
Finlaggan Chapel These are the remains of a small 14th century chapel, built by John I, Lord of the Isles (there were four Macdonald Lords of the Isles, two of whom were named John). A carved stone commemorative cross was discovered in the graveyard next to the chapel, which is now housed in the small museum run by the Finlaggan Trust, in the once ruined cottage by the car park. The Kings of the Isles, the Macdonald Lords of the Isles, were too important to be buried here, and were buried at Iona, with the ancient Kings of Scotland. Their families however, were buried here. There has been recordable erosion of some of the grave stones within the last century or so, and to halt this process, covers have now been placed over them. The stones to the left come from the grave of a child. The chapel was dedicated to St Findlugan, a monk who came to Scotland from Ireland during the 6th century when St Columba was still alive. Recent excavations show that some of the burials in the graveyard are of an earlier date than the chapel. Child's grave stone. The child's gravestone on the left is perhaps that of a son of one of the Lords of the Isles. He has his own miniature claymore sword - no doubt made of wood! Donald MacGilleasbuig gravestone at Finlaggan Castle, faintly reminiscent of the lovely Isle of Lewis chess pieces. Donald Macillaspy The finest effigy at the chapel is that of a man in Highland armour with an image of his galley beneath his feet. This was Donald MacGill-uisbeag (Macillaspy) who held Finlaggan in the mid-1500s, after the passing of the last of the Lords of the Isles. #finlaggan #finlagganwhisky #finlaggancastle #finlagganchapel #lordoftheisles #macdonald #macdonaldlords #macdonaldclan #stfindlugan #historicaltoursscotland #jorgenhartogstourguide
Finlaggan Chapel These are the remains of a small 14th century chapel, built by John I, Lord of the Isles (there were four Macdonald Lords of the Isles, two of whom were named John). A carved stone commemorative cross was discovered in the graveyard next to the chapel, which is now housed in the small museum run by the Finlaggan Trust, in the once ruined cottage by the car park. The Kings of the Isles, the Macdonald Lords of the Isles, were too important to be buried here, and were buried at Iona, with the ancient Kings of Scotland. Their families however, were buried here. There has been recordable erosion of some of the grave stones within the last century or so, and to halt this process, covers have now been placed over them. The stones to the left come from the grave of a child. The chapel was dedicated to St Findlugan, a monk who came to Scotland from Ireland during the 6th century when St Columba was still alive. Recent excavations show that some of the burials in the graveyard are of an earlier date than the chapel. Child's grave stone. The child's gravestone on the left is perhaps that of a son of one of the Lords of the Isles. He has his own miniature claymore sword - no doubt made of wood! Donald MacGilleasbuig gravestone at Finlaggan Castle, faintly reminiscent of the lovely Isle of Lewis chess pieces. Donald Macillaspy The finest effigy at the chapel is that of a man in Highland armour with an image of his galley beneath his feet. This was Donald MacGill-uisbeag (Macillaspy) who held Finlaggan in the mid-1500s, after the passing of the last of the Lords of the Isles. #finlaggan #finlagganwhisky #finlaggancastle #finlagganchapel #lordoftheisles #macdonald #macdonaldlords #macdonaldclan #stfindlugan #historicaltoursscotland #jorgenhartogstourguide
Finlaggan Chapel These are the remains of a small 14th century chapel, built by John I, Lord of the Isles (there were four Macdonald Lords of the Isles, two of whom were named John). A carved stone commemorative cross was discovered in the graveyard next to the chapel, which is now housed in the small museum run by the Finlaggan Trust, in the once ruined cottage by the car park. The Kings of the Isles, the Macdonald Lords of the Isles, were too important to be buried here, and were buried at Iona, with the ancient Kings of Scotland. Their families however, were buried here. There has been recordable erosion of some of the grave stones within the last century or so, and to halt this process, covers have now been placed over them. The stones to the left come from the grave of a child. The chapel was dedicated to St Findlugan, a monk who came to Scotland from Ireland during the 6th century when St Columba was still alive. Recent excavations show that some of the burials in the graveyard are of an earlier date than the chapel. Child's grave stone. The child's gravestone on the left is perhaps that of a son of one of the Lords of the Isles. He has his own miniature claymore sword - no doubt made of wood! Donald MacGilleasbuig gravestone at Finlaggan Castle, faintly reminiscent of the lovely Isle of Lewis chess pieces. Donald Macillaspy The finest effigy at the chapel is that of a man in Highland armour with an image of his galley beneath his feet. This was Donald MacGill-uisbeag (Macillaspy) who held Finlaggan in the mid-1500s, after the passing of the last of the Lords of the Isles. #finlaggan #finlagganwhisky #finlaggancastle #finlagganchapel #lordoftheisles #macdonald #macdonaldlords #macdonaldclan #stfindlugan #historicaltoursscotland #jorgenhartogstourguide
Finlaggan Chapel These are the remains of a small 14th century chapel, built by John I, Lord of the Isles (there were four Macdonald Lords of the Isles, two of whom were named John). A carved stone commemorative cross was discovered in the graveyard next to the chapel, which is now housed in the small museum run by the Finlaggan Trust, in the once ruined cottage by the car park. The Kings of the Isles, the Macdonald Lords of the Isles, were too important to be buried here, and were buried at Iona, with the ancient Kings of Scotland. Their families however, were buried here. There has been recordable erosion of some of the grave stones within the last century or so, and to halt this process, covers have now been placed over them. The stones to the left come from the grave of a child. The chapel was dedicated to St Findlugan, a monk who came to Scotland from Ireland during the 6th century when St Columba was still alive. Recent excavations show that some of the burials in the graveyard are of an earlier date than the chapel. Child's grave stone. The child's gravestone on the left is perhaps that of a son of one of the Lords of the Isles. He has his own miniature claymore sword - no doubt made of wood! Donald MacGilleasbuig gravestone at Finlaggan Castle, faintly reminiscent of the lovely Isle of Lewis chess pieces. Donald Macillaspy The finest effigy at the chapel is that of a man in Highland armour with an image of his galley beneath his feet. This was Donald MacGill-uisbeag (Macillaspy) who held Finlaggan in the mid-1500s, after the passing of the last of the Lords of the Isles. #finlaggan #finlagganwhisky #finlaggancastle #finlagganchapel #lordoftheisles #macdonald #macdonaldlords #macdonaldclan #stfindlugan #historicaltoursscotland #jorgenhartogstourguide
Ballyheigue (officially Ballyheige (Irish: Baile Uí Thaidhg - meaning Settlement of Tadhg Heartnet) is a coastal village in County Kerry, Ireland. It is approximately 18 km (11 mi) north of Tralee on the R551. It is a scenic locale with many miles of beaches that connect to Banna Strand to the south, and Kerry Head to the north. It has an active community who run many events throughout the year including an annual summer festival in July. #ballyheigue #ballyheiguebeach #ballyheiguefest #ballyheiguefest #ballyheiguesummerfest #cokerry #countykerry #countykerryireland #kerrythekingdom #thekingdomofkerry #baileuithaidhg #jorgenhartogstourguide #historicaltoursireland
Ballyheigue (officially Ballyheige (Irish: Baile Uí Thaidhg - meaning Settlement of Tadhg Heartnet) is a coastal village in County Kerry, Ireland. It is approximately 18 km (11 mi) north of Tralee on the R551. It is a scenic locale with many miles of beaches that connect to Banna Strand to the south, and Kerry Head to the north. It has an active community who run many events throughout the year including an annual summer festival in July. #ballyheigue #ballyheiguebeach #ballyheiguefest #ballyheiguefest #ballyheiguesummerfest #cokerry #countykerry #countykerryireland #kerrythekingdom #thekingdomofkerry #baileuithaidhg #jorgenhartogstourguide #historicaltoursireland
Barcaldine Castle is a 17th-century tower house castle located at Barcaldine 9 miles north of Oban, Scotland. The castle was built by Sir Duncan Campbell, of Glenorchy, between 1601 and 1609. The castle fell into disrepair in the later 19th century, when Barcaldine House became the principal residence of the family. It was restored between 1897-1911 and now operates as the Barcaldine Castle bed & breakfast hotel. The ghost of Sir Duncan Campbell is said to have been spotted roaming Barcaldine searching for the man who murdered him. Barcaldine Castle is now a B&B hotel and wedding venue. #barcaldine #barcaldinecastle #sirduncancampbell #glenorchy #barcaldinehouse #jorgenhartogstourguide #historicaltoursscotland
Barcaldine Castle is a 17th-century tower house castle located at Barcaldine 9 miles north of Oban, Scotland. The castle was built by Sir Duncan Campbell, of Glenorchy, between 1601 and 1609. The castle fell into disrepair in the later 19th century, when Barcaldine House became the principal residence of the family. It was restored between 1897-1911 and now operates as the Barcaldine Castle bed & breakfast hotel. The ghost of Sir Duncan Campbell is said to have been spotted roaming Barcaldine searching for the man who murdered him. Barcaldine Castle is now a B&B hotel and wedding venue. #barcaldine #barcaldinecastle #sirduncancampbell #glenorchy #barcaldinehouse #jorgenhartogstourguide #historicaltoursscotland
Braikie Castle is a late 16th century Scottish tower house, midway between Arbroath and Brechin, east of the village of Friockheim in the parish of Kinnell. It is sometimes shown as Brackie Castle or Brackoe Castle. A heraldic panel over the door is dated 1581 and the castle dates from at least this date. It was built for Thomas Fraser of Kinnell the alleged son of the 4th Lord Lovat (as he does not appear in genealogies if true he is an illegitimate son) and is a good example of a fortified laird's house of this period. The date 1581 forms part of a marriage lintel that combines the armorial crests of the Frasers of Lovat with that of the Kinnaird family, also bearing the initials TF and CK. In 1602 Thomas is married to Jane Kinnaird rather than C. Kinnaird. By the mid-17th century the castle passed to Patrick Gray and his family. From the Grays it then passed to the Ogilvie family. In 1742 it passed to the William Maule, Earl of Panmure. The overall form is a four-storey and attic, L-plan house, with the spiral stair in the re-entrant angle. A tall chimney stands adjacent to the stair. In incorporates corbelled bartizans and crow-stepped gables, and is distinctively Scottish in concept. A hidden basement holds the wine cellar. The castle appears in the magnum opus survey of Scottish castles by MacGibbon & Ross published in 1892, under the name of Brackie. Around 1960 it lost its roof and remains roofless. #braikie #braikiecastle #jorgenhartogstourguide #historicaltoursscotland
Braikie Castle is a late 16th century Scottish tower house, midway between Arbroath and Brechin, east of the village of Friockheim in the parish of Kinnell. It is sometimes shown as Brackie Castle or Brackoe Castle. A heraldic panel over the door is dated 1581 and the castle dates from at least this date. It was built for Thomas Fraser of Kinnell the alleged son of the 4th Lord Lovat (as he does not appear in genealogies if true he is an illegitimate son) and is a good example of a fortified laird's house of this period. The date 1581 forms part of a marriage lintel that combines the armorial crests of the Frasers of Lovat with that of the Kinnaird family, also bearing the initials TF and CK. In 1602 Thomas is married to Jane Kinnaird rather than C. Kinnaird. By the mid-17th century the castle passed to Patrick Gray and his family. From the Grays it then passed to the Ogilvie family. In 1742 it passed to the William Maule, Earl of Panmure. The overall form is a four-storey and attic, L-plan house, with the spiral stair in the re-entrant angle. A tall chimney stands adjacent to the stair. In incorporates corbelled bartizans and crow-stepped gables, and is distinctively Scottish in concept. A hidden basement holds the wine cellar. The castle appears in the magnum opus survey of Scottish castles by MacGibbon & Ross published in 1892, under the name of Brackie. Around 1960 it lost its roof and remains roofless. #braikie #braikiecastle #jorgenhartogstourguide #historicaltoursscotland
Royal Botanical Gardens Edinburgh The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh (RBGE) is a scientific centre for the study of plants, their diversity and conservation, as well as a popular tourist attraction. Founded in 1670 as a physic garden to grow medicinal plants, today it occupies four sites across Scotland — Edinburgh, Dawyck, Logan and Benmore — each with its own specialist collection. The RBGE's living collection consists of more than 13,302 plant species, (34,422 accessions) whilst the herbarium contains in excess of 3 million preserved specimens. The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh is an executive non-departmental public body of the Scottish Government. The Edinburgh site is the main garden and the headquarters of the public body, which is led by Regius Keeper, Simon Milne. #royalbotanicgardens #royalbotanicalgardensedinburgh #edinburgh #jorgenhartogstourguide #historicaltoursscotland
Royal Botanical Gardens Edinburgh The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh (RBGE) is a scientific centre for the study of plants, their diversity and conservation, as well as a popular tourist attraction. Founded in 1670 as a physic garden to grow medicinal plants, today it occupies four sites across Scotland — Edinburgh, Dawyck, Logan and Benmore — each with its own specialist collection. The RBGE's living collection consists of more than 13,302 plant species, (34,422 accessions) whilst the herbarium contains in excess of 3 million preserved specimens. The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh is an executive non-departmental public body of the Scottish Government. The Edinburgh site is the main garden and the headquarters of the public body, which is led by Regius Keeper, Simon Milne. #royalbotanicgardens #royalbotanicalgardensedinburgh #edinburgh #jorgenhartogstourguide #historicaltoursscotland
Royal Botanical Gardens Edinburgh The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh (RBGE) is a scientific centre for the study of plants, their diversity and conservation, as well as a popular tourist attraction. Founded in 1670 as a physic garden to grow medicinal plants, today it occupies four sites across Scotland — Edinburgh, Dawyck, Logan and Benmore — each with its own specialist collection. The RBGE's living collection consists of more than 13,302 plant species, (34,422 accessions) whilst the herbarium contains in excess of 3 million preserved specimens. The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh is an executive non-departmental public body of the Scottish Government. The Edinburgh site is the main garden and the headquarters of the public body, which is led by Regius Keeper, Simon Milne. #royalbotanicgardens #royalbotanicalgardensedinburgh #edinburgh #jorgenhartogstourguide #historicaltoursscotland
Royal Botanical Gardens Edinburgh The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh (RBGE) is a scientific centre for the study of plants, their diversity and conservation, as well as a popular tourist attraction. Founded in 1670 as a physic garden to grow medicinal plants, today it occupies four sites across Scotland — Edinburgh, Dawyck, Logan and Benmore — each with its own specialist collection. The RBGE's living collection consists of more than 13,302 plant species, (34,422 accessions) whilst the herbarium contains in excess of 3 million preserved specimens. The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh is an executive non-departmental public body of the Scottish Government. The Edinburgh site is the main garden and the headquarters of the public body, which is led by Regius Keeper, Simon Milne. #royalbotanicgardens #royalbotanicalgardensedinburgh #edinburgh #jorgenhartogstourguide #historicaltoursscotland
The image shows the twin wells of Lisdoonvarna located on the banks of the River Aille. The wells are a source of sulphur and iron water. Lisdoonvarna is the only active spa town in Ireland and the beneficial effects of its water were first noted by writers as early as 1740. Several mineral springs in the vicinity of Lisdoonvarna created this spa town which was particularly fashionable during the 19th century. In 1837 it was claimed that the iron-rich water in one of the springs was “peculiarly efficacious in hepatitis, consumption, scorbutic and bilious affections, and rheumatism.” These iron and sulphur waters became more accessible as baths, hotels and lodging houses were developed. By 1876 a handbook to the town remarked that “almost every house in Lisdoonvarna not a Hotel is a Lodging House.” The mineral springs continue to attract visitors today. Lisdoonvarna is also renowned for its matchmaking. This derived from the September influx into the spa town of bachelor farmers who combined holidays with the search for a wife! #twinwells #twinwellslisdoonvarna #lisdoonvarna #lisdoonvarnamatchmakingfestival #jorgenhartogstourguide #historicaltoursscotland
The image shows the twin wells of Lisdoonvarna located on the banks of the River Aille. The wells are a source of sulphur and iron water. Lisdoonvarna is the only active spa town in Ireland and the beneficial effects of its water were first noted by writers as early as 1740. Several mineral springs in the vicinity of Lisdoonvarna created this spa town which was particularly fashionable during the 19th century. In 1837 it was claimed that the iron-rich water in one of the springs was “peculiarly efficacious in hepatitis, consumption, scorbutic and bilious affections, and rheumatism.” These iron and sulphur waters became more accessible as baths, hotels and lodging houses were developed. By 1876 a handbook to the town remarked that “almost every house in Lisdoonvarna not a Hotel is a Lodging House.” The mineral springs continue to attract visitors today. Lisdoonvarna is also renowned for its matchmaking. This derived from the September influx into the spa town of bachelor farmers who combined holidays with the search for a wife! #twinwells #twinwellslisdoonvarna #lisdoonvarna #lisdoonvarnamatchmakingfestival #jorgenhartogstourguide #historicaltoursscotland