Tuesday Tips: Working with fondant
I massively prefer working with buttercream, the thought of working with fondant brings me out in a hot sweat, I'm sure I'm not alone so I thought I would share some tips and tricks that I have learnt. This isn't a how to guide, just some handy hints I have picked up along the way.
1. Fondant and Sugarpaste is the same thing. This blew my mind, honestly!
2. Make sure the cake is as straight as possible by covering with either ganache or buttercream and allowing the cake to set. Then apply fondant.
3. Cover work surface with corn flour as opposed to icing sugar when rolling, it doesn't dry the fondant out as much.
4. If the fondant doesn't look quite right on the cake, just take it off, re-knead and start again.
5. Make sure you have enough fondant before attempting to cover the cake. I tend to roll out 500g, which is more than enough for 6 and 8 inch cakes, but better to be on the safe side. When rolled, just cut out the amount you need to avoid tearing and stretching.
Happy Baking 😁
#tuesdaytips #tips #fondant #sugarpaste #cake #modelling #cakedecorating #buttercream #millysbakes #yorkshirebaker